rest EN[ɹɛst] US
- 명사 (Noun)PLrestsPREre-SUF-est
- NU (of a person or animal) Relief from work or activity by sleeping; sleep.
- I need to get a good rest tonight; I was up late last night.
- The sun sets, and the workers go to their rest.
- NC Any relief from exertion; a state of quiet and relaxation.
- We took a rest at the top of the hill to get our breath back.
- NU Peace; freedom from worry, anxiety, annoyances; tranquility.
- It was nice to have a rest from the phone ringing when I unplugged it for a while.
- NU (of an object or concept) A state of inactivity; a state of little or no motion; a state of completion.
- The boulder came to rest just behind the house after rolling down the mountain.
- The ocean was finally at rest.
- Now that we're all in agreement, we can put that issue to rest.
- (euphemistic) NU A final position after death.
- She was laid to rest in the village cemetery.
- (music) NC A pause of a specified length in a piece of music.
- Remember there's a rest at the end of the fourth bar.
- (music) NC A written symbol indicating such a pause in a musical score such as in sheet music.
- (physics) NU Absence of motion.
- The body's centre of gravity may affect its state of rest.
- (snooker) NC A stick with a U-, V- or X-shaped head used to support the tip of a cue when the cue ball is otherwise out of reach.
- Higgins can't quite reach the white with his cue, so he'll be using the rest.
- NC Any object designed to be used to support something else.
- She put the phone receiver back in its rest.
- He placed his hands on the arm rests of the chair.
- A projection from the right side of the cuirass of armour, serving to support the lance.
- A place where one may rest, either temporarily, as in an inn, or permanently, as, in an abode.
- (poetry) A short pause in reading poetry; a caesura.
- The striking of a balance at regular intervals in a running account.
- (dated) A set or game at tennis.
- NU That which remains.
- She ate some of the food, but was not hungry enough to eat it all, so she put the rest in the refrigerator to finish later.
- Those not included in a proposition or description; the remainder; others.
- (Britain, finance) A surplus held as a reserved fund by a bank to equalize its dividends, etc.; in the Bank of England, the balance of assets above liabilities.
- 동사 (Verb)SGrestsPRrestingPT, PPrested
- VI To cease from action, motion, work, or performance of any kind; stop; desist; be without motion.
- VI To come to a pause or an end; end.
- VI To be free from that which harasses or disturbs; be quiet or still; be undisturbed.
- VI VT (reflexive) To be or to put into a state of rest.
- VI To stay, remain, be situated.
- The blame seems to rest with your father.
- VT VI (reflexive) To lean, lie, or lay.
- A column rests on its pedestal.
- I rested my head in my hands.   She rested against my shoulder.   I rested against the wall for a minute.
- VI VT (law, US) To complete one's active advocacy in a trial or other proceeding, and thus to wait for the outcome (however, one is still generally available to answer questions, etc.).
- The defense rests, your Honor.   I rest my case.
- VI To sleep; slumber.
- VI To lie dormant.
- VI To sleep the final sleep; sleep in death; die; be dead.
- VI To rely or depend on.
- To be satisfied; to acquiesce.
- OBS To remain.
- OBS To arrest.
- 더 많은 예제
- 문장 중간에 사용됨
- I plan to scarf down the rest of this sandwich and get back to work.
- He's still new to their system, but he knows databases inside and out and will understand the rest soon.
- You may rest assured that our best efforts will be put forth to give you entire satisfaction.
- 문장의 끝에서 사용
- These associated microarousals break up the normal sleep structure preventing a refreshing rest.
- After seeing to the shopping, cleaning and cooking, he finally sat down for some rest.
- He paid half the $850 monthly tuition, and the church monsignor covered the rest.
Meaning of rest for the defined word.
문법적으로, 이 워드 "rest" 는 형태소
, 좀 더 구체적으로, 접두사
. 그것은 또한 명사
, 좀 더 구체적으로, 셀 수 있는 명사
및 단수로만 사용하는 명사
. 그것은 또한 동사
, 좀 더 구체적으로, 능동 격 동사
- 품사 계층 (Part-of-Speech Hierarchy)
어려움: 수평 1
쉽게 ➨ 어려운
확실 함: 수평 9
확실 ➨ 다목적
- en rested
- en rest.
- en restored
- en restrictions
- fr restrictions